The Myanmar MoE will provide accommodation for TREE facilitators within the compounds of the Education Colleges where you are posted. Facilitators will be required to live in the accommodation provided. The accommodation is likely to be relatively basic and functional. It will however likely be far superior to the accommodation of EC staff. You will either share accommodation with your VSO TREE facilitator partner or it will be single occupancy. It is likely to consist of a bedroom with a separate living room, small kitchen, basic toilet and bathroom facilities.

In-country travel


Travel by taxi within cities and towns is relatively safe. Though the condition of vehicles varies widely, serious accidents are uncommon. 

Long distance taxis are quicker and more comfortable than buses, though more expensive. Road quality varies widely and Myanmar drivers will often travel at uncomfortably high speeds. When choosing a long distance driver ensure the car is in good condition, and that you are able to communicate with the driver – you may need to request he slow down. Learn how to say this in Myanmar language. Note that cars with right hand drive have much more limited visibility when overtaking. You should not make long distance journeys by car outside of daylight hours. 


Inner-city bus travel is generally safe, but chaotic, and during peak travel times will often be very over-crowded. All signs are in Myanmar. 

The quality and comfort of intercity buses varies; less popular routes will likely only have basic buses, often full of cargo and market goods. More popular routes will have multiple bus companies running services and may include premium ‘VIP’ buses.

Airconditioned buses will often be relatively cold, especially on overnight buses; it is recommended to bring a warm layer to wear. Overnight bus travel on most routes is relatively safe, though accidents do happen. 


It is currently illegal to ride a motorbike within Yangon. Outside of Yangon, travel by motorbike is common and facilitators will likely make use of motorbike taxis for short trips. As with regular taxis, check the condition of both machine and driver before travel. Some facilitators may want to rent or purchase a motorbike during their placement. A basic Chinese made motorbike will cost a few hundred USD. To ride a motorbike legally, facilitators should find out the latest requirements. You will need to convert your existing license into one valid in Myanmar, requiring travel to Naypyidaw to present an existing license, payment of a fee and probably undertaking training and taking a test. It is not clear which country’s domestic licenses are considered valid for conversion. In addition, it is strongly recommended that facilitators take out appropriate motor insurance, including third party injury or damage to property. Facilitators travelling by motorbike whether as a rider or a passenger are strongly advised to wear a full faced helmet.