Connecting Classrooms is a global programme run by the British Council, in partnership with the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). It is designed to help young people develop the 21st Century skills they need to achieve their ambitions and goals for the future.
Globally, the programme will build the capacity of 45,000 teachers and 12,000 school leaders worldwide to support them to integrate a range of core skills into the curriculum, with a focus on:
- digital literacy
- critical thinking and problem solving
- creativity and imagination
- student leadership
- collaboration and communication
With the support of the Ministry of Education of Myanmar, 100 government, monastic and ethnic schools in Bago Division, Mandalay Division, Mon State, Southern Shan State and Yangon Division have been selected to take part in the initial phase of the project. Teachers and principals are receiving training on how to effectively integrate core skills into their classrooms.
Connecting Classrooms provides
- professional development for teachers and principals in over 30 countries,
- professional dialogue opportunities for policy makers that supports national and regional level debate, reflection and action;
- connections with schools all over the world through our schools online portal and
- online access to high quality resources to support teachers in delivering improved learning outcomes for young people.
To find out more, visit our Connecting Classrooms website: https://schoolsonline.britishcouncil.org/
Even if you are not a selected school, your school is welcome to join our free schools online. In this website, teachers and principals can form partnerships with schools around the world, including the UK, and have access to all the materials and resources to learn about and teach the core skills.
The British Council was one of the first international organisations allowed to train staff in government schools. Under this programme, 200 teachers from a hundred governments, monastic and ethnic schools in southern, central and eastern parts of the country are being trained on how to integrate 21st century skills into the curriculum. Connecting Classrooms is run by the British Council in partnership with the UK's Department for International Development.