Listening to a foreign language helps you improve and remember. Reading helps to improve grammar, vocabulary and even speaking.
Strategies for Learning
- Motivate yourself – listen and read things that you enjoy and find interesting
- Focus on general meaning the first time you read or listen to a text
- Do not panic if you do not understand something – persevere!
- Study English pronunciation – this will help your listening
Ideas for Practising
- Watch TV/Films at home in English
- Use subtitles in English
- Alternate 5 minutes with subtitles, then 5 minutes without, etc.
- Listen to podcasts and videos on your device
- Find lyrics to English songs then listen and read
- Read easy texts – 1 level below your current level
- Listen and read simultaneously
Notice – Look, Listen, Analyse
- Look at English everywhere; analyse what you know and what is new for you
- Listen actively for comprehension
- Analyse your pronunciation by comparing it to other peoples’ pronunciation
Reading and listening are easy to do and you can improve these skills any time of day!
- Listen on everywhere you go (on the bus, at the gym...)
- Listen at home while you are doing other things
- Listen and read on your tablet or phone