Writing helps language learning. Writing develops accuracy and helps you to develop new grammar and vocabulary.
Strategies for Learning – Use the “P7” Approach!
- PLAN: For long pieces, plan your writing before you begin
- PARAGRAPHS: Understand how to use paragraphs in English
- PURPOSE: Be clear on the purpose for writing
- PEOPLE: Remember who will read your piece
- POLITENESS: Use the appropriate style and tone
- PHRASES: Keep a record of useful expressions and phrases and use them
- PARAPHRASE: Practise and learn how to write an idea in different ways
Ideas for Practising
- Create a group on social media with your classmates – write to each other
- Get tips from a website, for example: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/writing
- Start a blog or micro blog (Like Twitter ©) in English
- Make lists in English for example, your shopping list, things to do, etc.
- Keep a journal – online or in a notebook – in English and write in it regularly
- Are you artistic? Write a story or poem in English
- Find an easy audio recording. Listen and write (a dictation!). Check your answers
- Record yourself reading a short text out loud and then use it as a dictation
Notice – Look, Listen, Analyse
- Look at different types of writing – articles, stories, letters, etc.
- Analyse the characteristics of the different writing styles. Concentrate on paragraphs, special expressions, introductions, conclusions and more.
- Use the ideas above and do some writing everyday.